May 23, 2011

Using a Few Ideas

Methinks that this month I'm going to beat my record for 'least number of posts'. :P I've had plenty of ideas! Seriously, I have this long list of "blog-ideas" notes in my note manager, I just rarely use any of them...  :P

For example, there's math 'riddles' I came across while doing Algebra:
If a cat and a half eat a fish and a half in a day and a half, how many fish would seven cats eat in a week and a half?

Bible verses that made me stop and think twice about what I just read (while doing 'Balancing the Sword'):
2 Samuel 24: 18-25  " And Gad came that day to David, and said unto him, Go up, rear an altar unto the LORD in the threshingfloor of Araunah the Jebusite. And David, according to the saying of Gad, went up as the LORD commanded. And Araunah looked, and saw the king and his servants coming on toward him: and Araunah went out, and bowed himself before the king on his face upon the ground. And Araunah said, Wherefore is my lord the king come to his servant? And David said, To buy the threshingfloor of thee, to build an altar unto the LORD, that the plague may be stayed from the people. And Araunah said unto David, Let my lord the king take and offer up what seemeth good unto him: behold, here be oxen for burnt sacrifice, and threshing instruments and other instruments of the oxen for wood. All these things did Araunah, as a king, give unto the king. And Araunah said unto the king, The LORD thy God accept thee. And the king said unto Araunah, Nay; but I will surely buy it of thee at a price: neither will I offer burnt offerings unto the LORD my God of that which doth cost me nothing. So David bought the threshingfloor and the oxen for fifty shekels of silver. And David built there an altar unto the LORD, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings. So the LORD was intreated for the land, and the plague was stayed from Israel. "

Science trivia /quotes from doing Biology:
To illustrate just how incredible spider silk is, we want you to read about one application that scientists use it for today. In physics research, scientists are trying to develop a process called "laser-induced nuclear fusion." If it could ever be developed, it would result in a limitless, safe, and completely clean source of energy. This process involves taking a laser and inducing a nuclear reaction that turns hydrogen into helium. This is a violent reaction but, when done on a tiny sample, it is controllable, provided the sample is held in a very strong, very flexible container. Do you know what scientists use to make such a container? They use spider silk . Every laser-induced nuclear fusion facility has its own spider breeding ground. They continually harvest the spider silk from the spiders, making new fusion reaction containers. This is an expensive, time-consuming process. If modern science could produce a material that would do the job, they certainly wouldn't bother using spider silk. To this day, however, human science cannot produce what the spider has had since it was first created!

And various other quotes and 'of interest' items from daily life and web browsing:

I was bemoaning the lack of sweetened condensed milk preventing me from making a kopi susu, so I looked for a substitute.  Unfortunately, we didn't have the powdered milk for the non-egg recipes, and I didn't feel like having raw egg in my coffee either.  :P  But in case someone is interested...
Sweetened Condensed Milk Substitute 
2 eggs
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients and use as a substitute for sweetened condensed milk in recipes for pies, bars and desserts.

Don't remember where I came across this, but I thought it was very interesting.
"To a man of liberal education, the study of history is not only useful, and important, but altogether indispensable, and with regard to the history contained in the Bible, the observation which Cicero makes respecting that of his own country is much more emphatically applicable, that 'it is not so much praiseworthy to be acquainted with as it is shameful to be ignorant of it."
--President John Quincy Adams

Patterns I noticed while reading through the histories of Israel and Judah:
Moses, the judges, David, and the kings which followed him - all those who walked in the way of the Lord, whenever something happened, they took it before the Lord. Moses brought the complaints of the children of Israel before the Lord in the tabernacle, David cried before the Lord, Hezekiah received a letter from the king of Assyria and spread it before the Lord and cried unto Him.

Quotes from the sermons we listen to when we stay home on Sunday:
"The Word of God is not meant to be a bandaid to keep us from hurting."

"When the heavens appear to be silent, God is doing his greatest work of all."

"Worship God for who He is, not for what He's done."
--Russel Kelfer

And then there's miscellaneous pieces of CSS code that I've picked up here and there and applied some to Firefox and others to my blog. Err, the extensive use of blockquotes in this post was experimenting with one of those pieces of code... :P  (Might as well include that too...)
blockquote {
margin-top: 10px;
margin-bottom: 10px;
margin-left: 40px;
padding-left: 10px;
border-left: 2px solid #a19a87;
}

And I think I'll close with another thought provoking Bible verse (italics mine):
2 Chronicles 25:15 "Wherefore the anger of the Lord was kindled against Amaziah, and he sent unto him a prophet, which said unto him, Why has thou sought after the gods of the people, which could not deliver their own people out of thine hand?"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love those quotes. It's nice getting a glimpse of what you're doing those many hours at your desk! :)

Unknown said...

Hehe, yeah, I'm not just sitting here daydreaming... :P

Cinæd said...

:)

Post a Comment

I love comments! :) So please leave as many as you want...