March 21, 2011

Linux Text Editors

I've been searching for a Linux word processor that can satisfactorily replace my Windows one (PolyEdit Lite).  I have PolyEdit running on WINE quite nicely, but I can't print (/save to pdf) from it, because as a Windows application, it doesn't recognize any installed printers - virtual or actual.  :P  So I'm looking for alternatives... and so far I haven't found anything (if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them).  But, on my search, I came across an article about linux text editors with an absolutely hilarious introduction.  :)

"  Text editors on Linux. Few things conjure up more images and memories of heated flame wars. Sure, you have the classic KDE vs. GNOME, and today's Firefox vs. Chrome, but those battles pale in comparison to the mother of them all: the Emacs vs. vi wars. Who won? We all did.
   Mighty warriors have fallen in those battles. Both camps were powerful, righteous, and just. Eventually no one really won the war. In fact, the war mostly disappeared in favor of more modern, immediate issues on the Linux front. But this does not mean the players disappeared. In fact, each and every warrior can still be found on the battlefield – along with new combatants. And the winners are the users who have a variety of much improved text editors.  "
-- Linuxables: Choosing Your Text Editor

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! :) So please leave as many as you want...