A RIDDLE: WHO AM I?
Adam, GOD made out of dust,
But thought it best to make me first.
So I was made before man,
To answer God's most holy plan.
A living being I became,
And Adam gave to me my name.
I from his presence then withdrew,
And more of Adam never knew.
I did my maker's law obey,
Now never went from it astray.
Thousands of miles I go in fear,
But seldom on earth appear.
For a purpose that GOD did see,
He put a living soul in me.
A soul from me GOD did claim,
And took the soul from me again.
So when from me the soul that fled,
I was the same as when first made.
And without hands or feet or soul,
I travel on from pole to pole.
I labor on by day and night,
To fallen man, I am a great sight.
Thousands of people young and old,
Will by my death great light behold.
No right or wrong can I conceive,
The Scripture I cannot believe.
Although my name therein is found,
They are to me an empty sound.
No fear of death doth trouble me,
Real happiness I'll never see.
To heaven I shall never go,
Nor, to hell below.
Now when these lines you slowly read,
Go search your Bible with all speed.
For my name is written there,
I do honestly declare.
This riddle was written by a lady in California in response to an offer from a gentleman in Philadelphia, that he would pay anyone $1,000 who could write a puzzle he could not solve. He failed to solve it and paid the money.
Adam, GOD made out of dust,
But thought it best to make me first.
So I was made before man,
To answer God's most holy plan.
A living being I became,
And Adam gave to me my name.
I from his presence then withdrew,
And more of Adam never knew.
I did my maker's law obey,
Now never went from it astray.
Thousands of miles I go in fear,
But seldom on earth appear.
For a purpose that GOD did see,
He put a living soul in me.
A soul from me GOD did claim,
And took the soul from me again.
So when from me the soul that fled,
I was the same as when first made.
And without hands or feet or soul,
I travel on from pole to pole.
I labor on by day and night,
To fallen man, I am a great sight.
Thousands of people young and old,
Will by my death great light behold.
No right or wrong can I conceive,
The Scripture I cannot believe.
Although my name therein is found,
They are to me an empty sound.
No fear of death doth trouble me,
Real happiness I'll never see.
To heaven I shall never go,
Nor, to hell below.
Now when these lines you slowly read,
Go search your Bible with all speed.
For my name is written there,
I do honestly declare.
This riddle was written by a lady in California in response to an offer from a gentleman in Philadelphia, that he would pay anyone $1,000 who could write a puzzle he could not solve. He failed to solve it and paid the money.
8 comments:
I know!!! Least I think I know... A whale? Er technically, a large fish?
I think I remember...
Wow, Justin. That was quick! :O And I think you're right... at least, it's the same as what I was remembering. hehe
I cant say anything for the timing, but being right, thats incredible!
Oh, you're right quite often... ;)
What does she mean by this part?:
"Thousands of people young and old,
Will by my death great light behold."
The great fish didn't have to die in order for the Ninevites to see the light.
Hmmmmmm.
~ dana :-)
Whale blubber was used as lantern oil. Hence, by the death of the whale for blubber, there was light.
Nice answer, Justin... ;)
Yeah, I think it was written back in the days before they had electricity, and when whaling was still very prevalent.
Post a Comment
I love comments! :) So please leave as many as you want...